I have long contemplated using a boat as a bug out transport vehicle , as i now live near the ocean, this is a real option.
this should really read, “using a boat as a bug out location for the short term”
Boats have some obvious advantages:
- They can generally hold quite a bit of gear, large boats can carry very heavy loads
- They may move slowly but they have no need to go off road,
- water covers a large amount of the earth and often contains a large amount of wild life that can be harvested,
- They can be powered by the wind
- They don’t require much technology, but can be enhanced with it
- Repairs to small craft are not difficult,
- They can be very quiet,
- They have good ranges,
- can use steam engines, Stirling engines, and low grade fuels.
- navigation by sun and stars is well established and can be revived.
and some disadvantages:
- Affected by weather,
- Slow, when wind powered,
- Obvious at a range,
- Can be expensive to buy and maintain,
- Relatively easy targets for Pirates
- Limited to coastal areas,
- a home port, with resupply is still required,
- not all vessels are created equal – size and crew have a big baring on range,